August 13 - 23, 2019

Dear Parents,

Welcome to the first week of a new school year!  As I reflected on Back to School Night, I realized that there were a couple of items that I forgot to mention.  So, thank you for reading this!

Thank you to all the parents that have signed into DOJO so far!  Please don't forgot to sign in with the class code that went home on Back to School Night.

Here is the link to the PTA video, please take a few moments to watch and see all the great things that our PTA does for our school and new school year information. https://youtu.be/clX7oJzeGug

I do have some sticky notes with "Wish List' items.  They are simple items that I use through out the year, mostly for science.

On Tuesday we will be doing a Science investigation, food coloring will be used.  If you'd like to send your student with a large shirt to wear over their school clothes, that wouldn't be a bad idea.  Usually it is only hands that get the bulk of the coloring and it does wash out.

On Friday our first Reading Log will be coming home, it is a yellow paper.  Scholars will keep track of minutes read, pages read, title of book and a 3 sentence summary of what they just read.  It will be due the following Friday.  I will assign the first book report once we've gone to library.

For those who have signed up to help in the mornings, I will let you know when to start. This first week or two we will be learning the procedures of how our morning Data Binders will work.

If you haven't gotten on Power School yet for SAFE SCHOOL AND COMPUTER USE POLICIES, please do!  If you need help, Mrs. Griffiths is the person to see!

Curriculum News:

  • Literacy - The first week of school scholars will be doing activities with books, writing goals, doing an assessment for spelling patterns.  The second week of school we will start with our first unit of CKLA, personal narratives and will continue to learn procedures of expectations during literacy time.
  • Math - The first week of math scholars will be doing get to know you math activities, times table assessment, and vocabulary for Chapter 1.  The second week we will start into Chapter 1 of GOMath, place value, addition, and subtraction to one million.  Lesson 1.1, modeling place value relationships.  Lesson 1.2, read and write numbers.  Lesson 1.3 compare and order numbers.  Lesson 1.4 round numbers.  I will post math videos later.
  • Science - We will start science off on Tuesday investigating Ice Globes.  The following days will be working on vocabulary for our first unit in Science, which is Utah's Plants, Animals, and Land Zones.  One of my favorite units!!
Important Dates:
  • August 13, First Day of School!  Welcome back assembly in the afternoon.
  • August 19, I will be moving my son up to USU, I have a fabulous sub for the scholars.
  • August 26-30, School Community Workers, lunch workers, flag duty, hall monitors
  • August 26, Happy Birthday Jacee!
  • September 2, Labor Day, no school
  • September 5, SAFE, KIND, RESPONSIBLE Assembly
  • September 10, Health Screenings
Thank you to all of you that came on Back to School Night :).  We are going to have a wonderful year of learning and growing.
Michelle Komarek

No comments:

Post a Comment